In 1953 the Platte Valley Custom
Club brought drag racing to Julesburg, Colorado by holding drag races
on a dirt road donated to them by the County. By 1955 cars were running
to fast for a dirt strip so club President, Darrel Zimmerman began negotiations
with the county to allow the club to create a paved strip. The county
agreed to lease the club land at the city airport, which at the time had
only a grass landing strip, if the club paid for the strip themselves.
The first races on the new drag strip were held in July of 1958 and racing
continues at this location today.